Magnesium Aluminum Silicate
- Used as a rheological modifier and binder in various cosmetic preparations, especially in products with a high pH
- Stabilizes both oil-in-water and water-in-oil emulsions at low concentrations (typically at 1-2%) even if containing anionic or nonionic surfactants. The smectite colloidal structure effectively keeps the internal phase droplets suspended and separated and reduces the tendency of emulsions to thin out and break at elevated temperatures.
- Improves significantly skin feel
- Has thickening and acts synergistically with common thickeners like xanthan gum and HE cellulose
- Has suspending properties
Use: Add to water phase of formulas. Best when added to hot water (75oC) to reduce the hydrating time (15min vs 45min). Use a homogenizer for fastest results. Typical use level 0.5-3%. For external use only.Applications: Hair care (shampoos, conditioners & styling products), depilatories, shower gels, creams, lotions, make-up, shaving creams, deodorants.